Tigers of Tadoba

      Our tiger safari at Tadoba didn't yield any sightings until the very last day. Throughout the duration of our trip, we saw neither the spotted deer nor the sambhars-not even raptors. Nothing. The reward for our patience was far more than we deserved. It was to be the best tiger sighting of my entire life, and I doubt if anything in the future will ever match upto it. 

     We were very fortunate to spend an entire hour with a tigress, and her four cubs. I didn't have a great camera on me, because I hadn't expected to see much, so do excuse the graininess of the pictures, which fail to do justice to their beauty. 

     We watched the cubs frolick delightedly in the water pool, pawing at each other, leaping gusts of wind at us, dampened by waterspray. So powerful and yet so playful, they rolled on the muddy ground, the flecks of dust catching onto their bright yellow fur, glistening golden in the evening light. It was breathtaking, and I can still play the entire scene in my head as if it was just yesterday.

      The mere presence of these glorious animals radiated supreme royalty and respect, claiming their rightful position as the true kings of the jungle. Move over Simba! We just couldn't get enough, and all too soon they vanished into the dense foliage, taking the bright rays of sunshine with them as dusk fell. 

      At the last moment, their mother reappeared perhaps for a farewell goodbye, walking right past our jeep. I swear if I stretched out an inch or two, I could've run my hands through her fur. I must admit I was very tempted, but I controlled this impulsive urge at the incredulity of my father at the suggestion of this prospect, and also due to the sheer intimidation the tigress exuded. 

       She stood right there looking at us, an epitome of fearlessness, nobility and valiance, qualities as scarce on our planet as the tigers are themselves. 

       It is common knowledge that the Royal Bengal Tiger is severely threatened. It takes an experience like this to feel the true pain of their loss, and also to realise their tremendous value, not only as an integral part of our ecosystem, but also as the preserver of our Indian heritage. 
































Comments

Popular Posts